Saturday, March 17, 2007

Which number castle is it, or how deep is the swamp?

Responding to a recent Gene Spafford blog entry I remembered the scene in Monty Python's Holy Grail and had to quote it:

King of Swamp Castle: When I first came here, this was all swamp. Everyone said I was daft to build a castle on a swamp, but I built it all the same, just to show them. It sank into the swamp. So I built a second one. That sank into the swamp. So I built a third. That burned down, fell over, then sank into the swamp. But the fourth one stayed up. And that’s what you’re going to get, Lad, the strongest castle in all of England.

It got me thinking, for many of the IT products and or websites we use, what number castle are we on, and how deep is the swamp we're building on - how many iterations until it stops sinking into the muck?

Microsoft - 8 castles and only some signs we're not still going to sink into the swamp

1. Dos
2. Windows-3.x
3. Windows-95 (and 98, same architecture really)
4. Windows-NT
5. Windows-2000
6. Windows-XP
7. Windows-2003
8. Windows-Vista

Someone else care to count castles and/or speculate on swamp depth for another vendor and/or website?

1 comment:

Peter said...

As disastrous as Windows Vista appears to be, I think Microsoft has made most of their traction with their .Net/C# stuff.

I have a developer friend who has traditionally been an Unix-loving friend of FOSS. Interestingly, he really, really likes C#--particularly for OLTP systems. He bitches about the platform but loves the development environment. That strikes me as a shift from the past where developers hated working in what they viewed as crufty, old MS APIs / frameworks.