Thursday, May 29, 2008

Offtopic: 0xe0030005

Question: What is the sound of a disk drive crashing?
Answer: Not much.

Question: What does it do?
Answer: It spits out "disk0s2: 0xe0030005 (UNDEFINED) and then it just locks up and won't boot.

Question: When/Why does it do this?
Answer: If its a Macbook whose hard drive just went bad.

Delightfully Apple's Disk Utility still shows the drive as good, as does the S.M.A.R.T. monitoring.

Alas - off to the store for a replacement drive.

Ok, I can't let this post go by without making some sort of web security note....

The above "dialog" would have been much better if your browser supported the draft HTML5 spec. Then I'd have been able to use the tags to make it easier to see the above as a dialog...... wow, I guess I do need that nonsensical tag after all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was semi-entertained by the Q&A (as I've recently heard of a rash of such drive failures from Mac owners) but the HTML5 comment is what sent me into a fit of laughter... thanks for the entertainment!